Heidi Tries 23 Things

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Working through thing 7-Web 2.0 Tools

There are several things for this thing:
1. email- Been there done that...pretty basic. I have experience, as a patron anyway, of how email can be used in a library setting to notify me when requests become available, and remind me when things are due.
2.IM- I have recently been used this in the form of "chat" on FB. I think this could be a useful tool for people who are not in the library but doing research on line. Or if they have questions about holdings but are not at the library. The downside could be staffing. I think students might find this helpful, but after hours. I did not try it yet though because I am doing 23 things alone, so I don't know who to IM with. It is also summer, so I cannot test it in my work setting.
3.Text Messaging-I am trying to stay with the times, but I don't get the explosion of people texting. Why not just call? You have a phone in your hand. People say they don't want to interupt the other person with live conversation, but I have yet to see anyone ignore that special noise your phone makes when you get a text message. This might work in a really large library, but I don't see the application in my setting.
4.Web Conferencing- This could be a great learning tool! I found a lot of research that I need to go back to. I will watch and report back. It is too much information to include in this post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home